Recipe: Melt In Your Mouth Vegan, Gluten Free Brownies!


The best part about being a food blogger is getting to taste all of the recipes first right? Well i definitely wasn't saying no to one (or two) or these brownies for breakfast. Yes, for breakfast. This morning i had the perfect morning - i rolled out of bed at 8am (a lie in for me), made me a vanilla coffee & munched on two of these brownies in-between photos. Now I'm sat in bed writing this post. One reason i enjoy a being a student and mainly doing work from home. It means i don't have to get dressed and i can slob around in my pjs until whatever time i feel like i should probably make an effort, brush my teeth and put some actual clothes on.

Anyway, on to the brownies..

It's the first time i have ever made vegan brownies and they turned out as a result of a random evening urge to bake. My only qualm is that they need a bit more sugar in my opinion. But, these are still phenomenal nevertheless. I don't know, i love the taste of coconut sugar but it just doesn't seem to sweeten things up enough. Or is that just me? Anyhow, so i used 1/2 cup of coconut sugar so i'd recommend upping that to 3/4 or adding some different sugar/sweetener. 

Update: I made these again and added some brown sugar - still tasty, moist and delicious just with a little added sweetness. 

Gooey, melt in your mouth vegan, gluten free brownies http://psychologyfoodandfitness.blogspot.co.uk/
Vegan, gluten free brownies http://psychologyfoodandfitness.blogspot.co.uk/

These make 6 small squares (so definitely double up the recipe if you're planning on sharing). I used this square silicone tray from Ebay.

Onto the ingredients:
1/2 cup of buckwheat flour (I used Dove's Farm available here
1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons of cacao/cocoa powder 
1/2 cup of coconut sugar 
1 chia egg (or flax egg) - 1 tablespoon of chia seeds + 3 tablespoons of water 
1/3 cup of coconut oil
50g of dark chocolate chips (1/2 a packet - mine were from Aldi)
1 teaspoon of a flavoured extract (i used salted caramel from Tesco but, you could use vanilla). 
  1. Make the chia egg and leave to sit whilst making the rest of the brownies. 
  2. Melt the coconut oil in a bowl then mix with 3/4 of the chocolate chips, coconut sugar and extract.  Feel free to add more sugar or sweetener at this point - i probably would next time. 
  3. Mix together the flour and cacao. 
  4. Add the dry ingredients and chia egg to the wet ingredients and fold together.
  5. Put into a a lined tray or silicone mould. Sprinkle the rest of the chocolate chips on top! 
I baked these for around 25minutes on 150 degrees. But ovens do vary so just check them by sticking a knife or toothpick through the middle and if it comes out clean take them out. Leave them to cool before taking them out of the mould/tray. 

There you have it. The perfect delicious treat for yourself or friends/family. I think these would seriously impress friends and family that don't eat gluten free or vegan. They wouldn't really know the difference. If my boyfriend is impressed ("they're quite good actually" he said, which is a compliment, believe me!) they must be good. I've found the key to making the best brownies is melted chocolate. Without melted chocolate and chocolate chips they just don't have that gooey, fudgey texture a brownie should have. 

Now, go make these delicious melt in your mouth brownies and enjoy! 
And.. i am partial to a brownie or two, it's my favourite dessert, so if you have any other delicious brownie or blondie recipes i need to try,  please send them my way!

Twitter Instagram | Bloglovin' | Google+
SaveSave

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top